Monday, October 09, 2006

Does it mean anything to me??

I had been to madurai for the weekend n the reason was for to "shop". I know it sounds silly for one to go from bang to madurai to shop. But i have had quite an experience shopping for my mom's saree in pune tat i decided then never to step into a saree shop w/o a gal at my side. i had Preethi in pune to help me out for the first time, but it was a horrible experience when we 5 guys who stayed together decided to shop.There we went to the same shop ,tat me and preethi had shopped the prev day.Little did i know that the guys were counting on my saree selecting skills. I was sitting there as a mute spectator watching the gals passing by,when one of the guys asked to show the "palli". I cudnt stop my laughter..Goodness me!! the salesperson didnt know Tamil,or he wud hav laughed his guts out..It turned out to be "pallu", which even to-day i cant makeout which side of the saree does it point to...Anyways,all that we wanted was to show off that we also knew a thing or 2 abt sarees..
So, having ventured into exciting experience like that, i didnt wanna give fate a chance to grin at me mockingly again..So,decided to take my mom n grandma along with me n buy them.But little did i realise that Madurai would be like a frying pan in october.Leave alone the Sun, the shop was crowded like a look alike of ranganathan street...Worse was that the crowd was allowed to enter through barricades tat u can find in cinema halls..Atleast the mad rush settles down after a few mins there..I lost a couple of my buttons in my shirt n was drenched in sweat..And when we asked the security person to switch the fans on..He coolly replied tat the A/c 's are ON sir..Only god knows , if it was installed et all..And while was rubbing away my sweat, my father comes from behind and comments that " you have been away from madurai for so long , n have got accustomed to bang..its time u experienced this too"..Yeah right..!!!!
I don't have an iota of reason y ppl shop in these big shops which on the name of discounts keeeps fooling arnd ppl year in and year out..Probably, ppl get the satisfaction of actually shopping for Diwali only if they go get mashed into juices..
If i had thought that i had finally done with that shop for once et all..My father reminds me that we have to go the next day again there to shop for bro..HELLL!!!
For once i was dreading how my grandma is gonna cope in tat crowd w/o getting caught in a stampede..And while i was in the queue for one more time, i decided to notice the faces arnd me..Not one was complaining abt it...Everyone were more than happy to become mashed potatoes leave alone a couple of old wrinkles..
Tats when i realised wot murali's father said abt Diwali or any festival for tat matter...
The festivals matter only for ppl who buy clothes once in a year, awaiting for the petty bonus or the loan they incur...For ppl like us who can afford for all the incentives of a festival day on a normal day...it mattters little...doesn't it??
Now i started looking at an average family from a village which had come to shop...The father's priorities were simple and predictable...he got his daughter a dress first and then a saree for his wife...n finally as his daughter was pesting him to buy a shirt for himself...he resortted to a white khadi shirt..
And then i saw my cell ringing...it was my mom waiting near the cash counter..I dished out into my pocket n paid for the dresses with my debit card..
The festivals doesnt mean anything to me...doesn't it..

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Machi, only women's section will be like that. Bro's section should be cool. But then, I can imagine the problem, if the same section is for small kids too.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home